Founded in 1587 by three Spanish Dominican priests who originally came from Acapulco in Mexico, this church is also connected to the Brotherhood of Our Lady of the Rosary. It was here that the first Portuguese newspaper was published on Chinese soil, A Abelha da China [“The China Bee”], on 12th September 1822. In 1929, this church integrated the worship of Our Lady of Fátima into its religious service, based on the account of the miraculous sighting that three shepherd children witnessed in Fátima, Portugal. After its establishment in Macao, through this church, the popular cult of Our Lady of Fátima expanded to Shiu-Hing, Timor, Singapore and Malacca.
Intricate white plastered ornaments and mouldings on the church façade, in contrast with the yellow rendered walls, characterize the main elevation of St. Dominic’s Church. The façade is divided into four horizontal levels and three vertical sections, the central section topped with a pediment decorated with an oval relief carrying the religious insignia of the Dominican order. Corinthian columns and louvred windows rhythmically punctuate the elevation. Decorative panels between the columns are adorned with fine stucco relief work in exquisite patterns, matched by well-proportioned pilasters lending the church an air of solemnity and elegance. The church consists of the nave, the chancel and a three-storey high bell tower, close to the sacristy area, to the rear of the building, with a choir overhanging the entrance. The internal space is divided into three sections by two rows of Corinthianinspired pillars connected by brick arches. Side openings on the ground floor give onto a corridor on the right side of the church’s nave, which gives access to the sacristy and bell tower.Back